View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 14, 2002, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to etbaseball Send a message via Yahoo to etbaseball
Pete -

It is unfortunate that some baseball games are longer than they should be or need to be. As many officials have stated in this thread, some reasons are valid and justified and have a direct correlation to the level of ball being played, and other reasons are due to poor time management skills by officials.

The game of ball shouldn't have time constraints. However, there are circumstances that, unfortunately, warrent time limits. Mostly this occurs when multiple games are being played, at the same site, on Saturdays or Sundays when the objective is more likely related to a shortage of fields available and lots of teams and games, which necessitates instituting game time limits.

Considering the above, it is my opinion, that only well-heeled and well-skilled officials are vigilant in keeping the game moving. Time management is a rewarding quality that many officials seem to overlook. If an official hustles all the time on the field, it is easier to get all game participants to do likewise. No matter the cause, sweeping clean the plate, line-up changes, pitchers warm-up throws or retrieving foul balls, they all need to be managed in a more effecient manner.

Officiating is hard work if it's done correctly. I've discovered that as my career has evolved I've become more aware of the value in good time management skills. By doing so, I now know, that games, when I'm on the dish, only take as long as they have to.

I've added this subject matter to the agenda for our next association clinic. I think the subject needs to be added and stressed in meetings as well as umpiring training programs throughout the gendre.

Yesterday I had a Pony game (13-14 yr olds) that went extra innings, 12 to be exact, and did the game 'solo' in 3 hours and 10 minutes. The temperature was 90, although it seemed liked 110 and I'm sure I lost 5 pounds. At this level most players have not yet matured and tend to take a little longer performing all of the various elements required in the game of ball, but I was pleased that the game only took the amount that it did. Another umpire doing this game would have been on the field for more than 4 hours. Sometimes you win, sometimes you loose. All the kids, however, had a great time and were so jazzed and couldn't believe they were playing so many extra innings. The loosing team in no way felt like loosers, and the winning team was so relieved and humbled that they squeezed out a victory, and this umpire new that 30 kids had experienced at wonderful day at the park.

Good subject. It needs to be addressed more regularly.