View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 04, 2007, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

BretMan - His mechanics were "ok"...nothing to write home about, and his zone was a little tight. But, as for his "antics", we might be talking about the same person! I just found it really, really odd and frankly unprofessional the way we was handling himself. And the BU in this crew wasn't much better. I "heard" (yes, I will admit I didn't hear this myself), that the BU openly asked the opposing coach (who was a home-towner), about purchasing some insurance from him during the coin flip. Now, if I'm the other coach, and hear one of the umpires that is about to call a winners bracket semi-final - ask the opposing coach about purchasing some insurance from him....well, let's just say that I'm off to a bad start. These guys might have known each other off-field, but it was really unprofessional to bring it up when he did. I think, for me, it just goes back to a sense that these umpires just didn't take the game seriously. Maybe it was because it was a 12U, but I've worked a ASA 12U national, (a great honor for me), and we treated it like an ASA major tourney. We had fun, but we were there to perform a job and to give the girls the best umpiring we could. I just think that this is one area that NSA needs to hit...and another being positioning and mechanics. But I come from ASA, where these things are stressed already, and maybe NSA doesn't want to do it this way.