View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 04, 2007, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

NEohioref - Well, I appreciate you speaking openly about what happened. I think it's something we all can learn from, and since we can't change the past -- we only have the future to focus on.
I guess from my perspective if I were in the same situation, I would hope that I would -- have jumped on handling the problem as soon as the time question was asked. (Note that in this case, the crew actually waited an inning to an inning-and-a-half to actually find out what was going on.) Knowing my clock, I would have then gathered the coaches and my fellow ump to explain what happened, and then (depending on who was hitting, the inning, etc.) I would then have formulated what would have been the most fair solution possible. However, simply continuing to play wouldn't be an option....and that's basically what happened. It just appeared that the crew was caught off guard, became very defensive, and didn't want to look bad. Maybe they throught the the UIC could come down on them, heck, I don't know, but the way they handled it was wrong. Communication...communication....communication. They just didn't talk, to each other, the coaches, nothing. Then to make it worse, I think the coaches were afraid to talk with them, (more than the little they did), in fear that they would be ejected since both made it clear that they weren't gonna' "take nothing" from anyone. Again, thanks for the discussion. I know I've learned something from all of this, and I appreacaite your time.