View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 03, 2007, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

I wonder if the "comedian umpire" was the same guy I was partnered with a couple of weekends ago. He said he was from the Dayton, OH area which would put him pretty close to Indiana.

He had a running commentary going with players, coaches and fans throughout the entire game. When he did the plate, between innings he would mill around behind the backstop and keep the commentary going with fans in the bleachers.

During one such break, he made his rounds and stopped at every little kid or baby in a stroller, stooped down and gave them a "cootchie-coo" or slapped them a "high five"!

One strange habit he had mechanics-wise was that about half the time he called a strike he would use NO hand signal whatsoever.

Our second game together he worked the bases and this one really takes the cake. The pitcher completed his warm-ups, I get behind the plate and am ready to go...but my base umpire is MIA.

I walk down the first base line to find him and see him rummaging around in the grass behind the dugout. A player had lost his car keys and he was helping him look for them!!!