View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 01, 2007, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Not Impressed

I just found this site, and am really enjoying it. I came across this thread, and found it interesting since I attended the tournament. I must say that I was very unimpressed by the umpiring. I don't want to beat a dead horse, but the umpiring wasn't up to the standards I would have for a "world series" tournament. The judgement of the umpires was terrible, and if anyone even began to question an umpire on a call, they were immediately threatened with ejection. Come on, simply asking questions is a part of the game. In fact, we had one crew that screwed the clock up, and a 1.5 hour game ended up taking over 2.5 hours - and then the umps had the gall to try to blame the coaches! I think the highlight of the week was seeing a plate umpire "entertain" everyone behind the plate every half inning with jokes. I couldn't tell if he wanted to be an umpire or a comedian. (I think he was a better comedian.) Also -- you'all worked 2 man crews. In the ASA nationals I have worked, everything has been 3 man crews. If the NSA wants to be taken seriously, they need to step up their umpire program, because many (not all), but many of the umps they had working this tourney wouldn't have been able to work a ASA state tournament, let alone what was billed as a "world series". Very unimpressed.