Thread: Another one...
View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 11, 2002, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

The question... Can a screener set a screen with the forarms in front? (which translates- elbows then extend outside the verticality of the body because the fists go together center of the chest)

To have a foul you have to have contact.

If the screener sets a terrible screen and is moving when contact occurs it should not matter where arms are.

If the contact with the screener happens dead center of the torso and thae arms are there, the screener's arms are acting as a buffer and as long as the screen is legal so what if the forearms are up and elbows out?

The problem with the forearms up and elbows out is when the screener moves the elbows farther out to try a clip the guy going pats him. Since it is an elbow out at chest high ( read that close to the neck) if the arms go left or right and make contact with a player going around the screen, it is almost always a foul with me. The elbows sliding out is a dangerous situation so I hit that one early and generally dont have problems later. If it is a real marginal brush that did not impact the play, I might warn but when elbows go out you can get into too many problems. Call that and call it fast!