View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 11, 2002, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

I hear you, Pete. In NJ, there's a time limit for everything but varsity. Last year, I had a JV game that lasted 3:15 (injuries, high score, and extra innings). It's also true that a lot of umps here are turning to softball. Games rarely go two hours, the pitchers throw strikes, and the pay, because of the equality laws, is the same. I do baseball and softball and will also assert, though it may be politically incorrect, that the pressure is lower. We have some terrific talent around here, but the girls' games simply aren't as taxing in terms of officiating.

On the other hand, baseball is not a clock game, and severe problems can arise when it's to a team's advantage to stall or speed. Can't go along with a time limit for varsity, but why the games take so long should be investigated with an eye to a remedy of some kind. It seems to me the kids just do everything so slowly today, from switching sides to finding the right bat or helmet to delivering the pitch. And the courtesy runners, and the wild throws to 2B after the warm-ups, and the substitutions. And the injuries. So many games are delayed by injuries that players used to shake off. Call the trainer. Oops, he's down at the other field. Send the electric cart, etc.

Major League games take an hour longer than they used to, and calling the high strike isn't going to change that. Commercial breaks (and specialty relievers) burn that clock.