View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 28, 2000, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Clearly, when given the benefit of multiple angles and slow motion, those watching the game have a different view than the zebra on the spot who is running the court trying to see through 7 foot gorillas moving at warp speed. It isn't fair to critique based upon that aspect.

However, there are instances where I think it is fair to question the official or the crew. Here are some instances:

King of the court: When one official is making most of the calls, even those where his coworkers have better vantage. Nothing drives coaches more insane than when the guy 30 feet away looking through 6 players somehow sees something that the guy 7 feet away with a clear view doesn't. (Nor should it.)

What's the pace?: When the game is being called fairly loosely ("let them play") then all of the sudden every hand check is a foul. It isn't fair to the players or coaches to not call a consistent game. This can be especially problematic if one team is called for a foul that the other team got a "no-call" because the officiating style changed.

Wrong Call: Speaking not of judgement issues, but when the facts are not in dispute and the official simply applies the wrong rule or resolution. (e.g. I was actually playing in a game where an official disallowed my basket but awarded me two free throws. He then T'd up the opposing coach for calling him on the inconsistancy).

To Err is human...: but to be errogant is bad officiating. When officials refuse to consider the objections of the players, benches, scoring bench, and even their own crew simply because to do so might require a reversal. The best officials recognize their human liabilities and consider the input from the other game participants. The worst not only refuse that open stance, but get angry at coaches and players and react in emotion rather than judgement.

The wimp: An official who afraid of a tough coach or player or croud sentiment and makes plenty of no-calls. These games can get really physical.

Well, I could go on. I certainly don't endorse questioning the judgement or integrity of officials from afar. However, I think there are circumstances where it is fair to question other aspects of the officiating.

- Duck