View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 11, 2002, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

I make a LOT of money (at least for part time) officiating basketball and baseball. I started reffing basketball five years ago to stay in shape for baseball, although I have come to enjoy it for it's own merits. However, money is not my prime motivation.
In my area they are BEGGING anyone and everyone to officiate lacrosse, soccer and field hockey. Faster games, double headers, more $$$. Same argument for trying to get umps to switch to softball. I have had many of those 3+ hour JV/FR games over the years. Some of the lower level Varsity games aren't a whole lot better. But then, I've also had the 90 minute games.
While I am on a baseball field, I'm not jealous of my fellow lacrosse refs running around on the adjacent field, even when they are leaving and I'm in the fifth inning. If I get to the point that this makes me miserable, I'll know it's time to give it up. I have a passion for baseball that can't be matched by any other sport, a desire and dedication that causes me to really enjoy officiating it.
For me persnally, officiating a faster game that I really don't care about would not be worth the quicker money. I don't NEED my officiating income to survive, so perhaps I have a different outlook than some guys. The aspects that make baseball different are some of the things I love best, like no clock (I never wear a watch on the field).