View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 30, 2007, 07:44am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
A player does the "replant" move before shooting . . .At halftime, I listen in to the D-1 ref/observer as he tells the official that he is "ruining the game" and to only call travels that are obvious to everyone in the gym.
I have also seen this travel, called it, and been told that it's not "one that we have to have". I don't call it anymore. But I really hate the "replant".

Quote:
"Just make it easy on yourself and call the travel in that case. Nobody will say a word if you do."
This is where I personally draw the line and if it hurts me, so be it. (Your judgment on travels is not what is going to make or break your officiating career, anyway -- I hope.) I'm not going to intentionally make a call that I know is not supported by rule. No control, no travel. Period. If the coach complains, I have two or three quick phrases to tell him why I didn't call it. "No control, coach"; "Fumble, coach"; "He never had it, coach". If I'm too far from the coach to talk, I give the "bobble" signal that somebody else mentioned.

I once had a guy with a lot more experience than me at the D3 level once give me the same advice that you got, except it was about goaltending. Defender hit the backboard while trying to block the shot. Coach complained, but I couldn't respond because I was away from the bench. In the locker room, my partner says, "I think if you just score that basket, nobody would even say a word." Well, fine; but it would be completely incorrect by rule!

Just my thoughts. If somebody else feels like they have to do things a certain way to survive, then you do what you have to do.