View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Okay, just to finish the story now that the tourney is over.

I get switched to the main gym due to the conflict game (There are 2 gyms in this HS.). The assignor was there and it was no big deal for the other officials. So, cool, no problem, everything's great...Right? Not.

I finish my game (in regulation), cool down and figure it's okay to slip into the "Back gym" to see how my daughter's game is going. Close game, but they're up by 6 with 45 seconds, then 4, then 2 and bingo the game is tied and we have OT (meanwhile the next game has already started in the main gym).

As the teams huddle to prep for the OT the assignor comes running into the gym to tell one of the officials (the one I'm going to replace after my daughter's game is over) that he's got to get over to the other HS ASAP with him...like now. He knows the situation but looks over at me and says "You have got to finish this game...". I'm like no way.

He goes over to the coaches and administrator to tell them he has an emergency and must replace one official...explains my connection to one of the teams and everything. They all say fine and though I'm reluctant the coaches assure me they will take full responsibility for anything that happens and that they feel I'll do a great job...I happen to know both coaches.

Folks, I can't believe I'm even telling you this but I went ahead and officiated the over-time. My daughter's team lost by 2 and we didn't hear a peep from anyone. I guess we could have come up with another alternative but things were happening so fast it was like the next thing I knew I was standing on the court.

This wasn't the priceless moment I was hoping for...sorry I let down most of the people who responded to this post. Next time I'm asking for another location.