View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 27, 2007, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
A few years ago I was in the Loop at a hotel for a trade show. A bunch of us from Portland and Seattle went to lunch down the street at a restaurant in the Wrigley building. When we came out, it was pouring down rain. The light was red at the corner, but myself and a guy who was also originally from Chicago walked against the light right in front of a police car. The others stayed on the corner. When they finally got into the hotel lobby, totally soaked, they told us how stupid we were to jaywalk in front of the cops. The other guy and I just laughed. I told them there was no way a Chicago cop was going to get out of his patrol car in the rain to give a jaywalking ticket. My friend said that for a Chicago cop to leave the car in the rain, there would have to have been someone murdered on the hood of the car - and then he'd only get out if he had finished his coffee - and his lunch shift was over.
Oh geeze, dueling stories.

Even before my Chicago trip I was living in LA (California, not that hurricane place).

So I'm downtown crossing the street. I run in front of a LAPD car and he waves me ahead to the sidewalk. I wave back thanking him...as I walk away Mr LA's finest (to protect and serve) jumps out of his car and stops me. He wrote me a jay-walking ticket...as a recently relocated NYC resident I had no idea "jay-walking" was illegal anywhere. If you make it across the street alive then you're good to go...

Luckily "WTF is wrong with you?" is not reason enough to get arrested in LA, I paid the $10 fine and lived to tell the story.