View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 10, 2002, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Shogun
Hey folks,

Please help settle a couple of playground arguments:

- What are the restrictions on "establishing a position" when the dribbler cannot avoid contact? I understand the "full stride" idea is a myth; i.e., the defender need not plant himself a "full step" in front of the dribbler. But doesn't the defender have to give the dribbler reasonable time to stop? On offense, you have to be "in control of your body", but no one can stop on a dime. So if you're running full speed (with the ball) in a straight line, and a defender leaps in your path and "plants himself"--he's stationary when contact is made--surely that's a defensive foul, even if it's 2 or even 3 steps in front, if the dribbler can't change his direction in time?

- What if, in the above scenario, neither player has the ball?

- What are the criteria for when positioning is "boxing out" versus an illegal screen? I play with a guy who will try a kind of football-style "pass block" to keep you out of the key-- he says it's "just like boxing out", so you can move around while making contact. Does the defender have to be facing the basket? Does it have to be in anticipation of an imminent shot? Does it have to be within a certain distance of the basket?

Thanks!
There are about a gazillion posts on what is a block and what is a charge. Take some time to search this forum. The archives are very informative. I found it surprising there was so many posts when the rules are very clear, and posted a topic which had some good replies about the "whys" of the rules and some good perspective from officials making the calls.
On block verses charge, the offensive player with the ball, must have an expectation that a defender could jump in front of him/her at anytime. No time or distance required on the defense. Not only that but the defender can move laterally or back obliquely to maintain position. This seems unfair at first, even dangerous, and tends to slow the game down, IMHO. I've always felt a one step rule would be a good idea, but it's far easier and simplier for an official to call to the, "legal guarding position and no time and distance" requirement and look at the nature of the contact, i.e. torso to torso, torso side, head and shoulders past.
By the same token there are fixed rules for time and distance on screens, which have been stated. Not all contact, which can be severe in these sitchs, is a foul.
As far as football style blocks go, if the defender is using his forearms or extending his arms, legs, etc, outside his "box", or moving into the offensive player, or moving into the side of the player, and contact occurs, it's a violation.
I tell my players when on offesive, they must use speed, head, body fakes, spins, etc. to get their head and shoulders, as a minimum, pass the defender, before any contact occurs whether they have the ball or not.
On defense it's easy. Get there first and defend with your feet.
EG