View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 26, 2007, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Well it happened like this if you really want to know....younger umpire on field made perfect call, but so much complaining she looked to me, just looked and I gave her a thumbs up shaking my head yes. Well then coach came out she told them her ruling and they said she was wrong she said if you would like me to I will check with the UIC he is right there....so when she said yes I stepped forward told them it was the correct call, coach was upset, I told her that is how it is lets let the kids play. As i stepped back outside of the diamond a few minutes later a parent came up to talk to me, I am a somewhat social person so I told them the ruling, especially since the stands are on the end of the fence I knew he coudl not have heard the discussion on the field, that is when he went from calm discussion to pi**ed off, and then I went from social to doing what Sargee suggested....

But to answer your question I try my best to be completely unnoticed as much as possible when I UIC and I don't approach fans to tell them the rules, calm them down, assist in throwing them out yes, but not to shoot the breeze over rules....but if someone approaches me and I have time then I will attempt to discuss something with them as long as they are civil.

Edit: For the record I was so proud of my 16 year old umpire for how she handled this situation, remained calm and confident in the face of very upset adults (well people over 18)!!

Last edited by DaveASA/FED; Thu Jul 26, 2007 at 03:03pm.