View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 25, 2007, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
But this is not the reason for your previous statement. The reason NCAA officials have more bad no-calls is that they're trained that way. If you don't KNOW, don't blow. It's not because they're not held accountable, it's because they taught that their bad calls should be no-calls. When you don't blow the whistle, the game goes on. But when you blow the whistle and you're wrong, the whole game stops, everybody looks at you and you give everybody a chance to chirp at you. You might not agree with that philosophy, but that's what's taught. Of course, they want to get it right every time, but we all know that's impossible. So if you're going to make mistakes, it's better (in the NCAA's thinking) to keep the game moving.
I understand what you are saying, but officials at the NBA level, once again, don't have the luxury of making their "bad calls" no calls. They also have to be certain of their plays as well. IMO, what is considered marginal contact in college is way different than what is marginal contact in the NBA. IMO, perimeter play is way too "handsy" in the college games. Guys are getting re-routed, impeded, chucked, etc. Same with cutters. How much of that do you see go uncalled in the pro game vs. college game? That's why when these guys come to summer league or pre-draft camp there are 60 to 70 fouls in a game. Difference in philosophy? Yes, but if that's not addressed in the pro game then we have a fight. College kids are not getting paid with bonuses for winning a certain amount of games, making it to the playoffs, etc. so they don't worry about it as much I guess.

Personally, I am an aggressive referee and err on the side of blowing the whistle rathering than sucking on plays. Don't get me wrong I have to be sure of what I'm calling. My aggressiveness is why I favor the pro game. They want you to be aggressive, whereas I don't believe college is so much like that.