View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 25, 2007, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
I was making some comments about the level of umpiring I saw for this tournament. I expected to see more consistent umpiring. I was commenting on the attire to draw attention to the level of skills and the level I expected to see from the umpires. I sat and watched a number of games and overheard the umpires making comments as they left the field. One such comment was "If it had been a closer game I would have call that". This was in reference to a slide into second base that broke up a double play where the runner slid out of the base path and no call was made. This was in the 7th inning that would have ended the game where the next play ended it anyway.

As a spectator I did not comment about what I saw there. We all comment on this board about what we see on the field when we go and work games.

As I stated, I took time off to go watch my son play. My son is also a registered Ohio baseball/softball class 3 umpire. After games where he plays, we will talk about calls and why they were made and what rules were used in making them.

We are out of the tournament and have left to come home. So I will not see the finals, but I hope the level of umpiring is better.

We all make mistakes and that is not what I am commenting on. I am commenting on the lack of rule enforcement poor mechanics I saw.