View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 24, 2007, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpharp
thanks for the quick responses.

I didn't call time until after the play. I know not really necessary since there was no one else on base.

Here is what we/I did. Right or wrong

After discussing things with the PU. I decided that I would make the call. I did see the play and even though I was several feet away, I decided to call what I saw which was an out.

Had I not been looking, I'm not sure what I would have done. I thought "This is no different then making a decision on a trap/no trap diving catch in the outfield." and I know that when doing one man, we sometimes end up making a call from a lot further away then we want to be, so an out was recorded.

Both coaches were very good. I know that it could have been ugly. Neither coach had a problem with the call and the game went on.

As for my partner. I'm pretty sure he learned his lesson. He apologized several times and does a decent job, so hopefully this doesn't cause him a setback.
In the first post you say you THINK it was an out, but thougth the runner COULD HAVE gotten under the tag... therefore, you didn't see a tag. You are guessing. In THIS pots, you say you saw an out. Which is it.

Don't guess an out. If you don't SEE a tag, you don't HAVE a tag.