View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 05:57pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMooreReferee
A's ball 1st and 10 on A's 40. A snaps the ball with an illegal formation, only 6 on the line. A 12 throws a legal forward pass towards A88, who is eligible. B22 sees that he is beaten miserably and runs towards A88 trying to catch up. The ball is underthrown a little and B22 grabs A88 and pulls him down to the ground prior to the ball arriving. The covering official rules this to be intentional pass interference.

Question is, how do we enforce this? Is it just simply a double foul? Or do we still get to enforce the unsportsmanlike portion of the defensive foul as a deadball foul? I'm thinking that the "intentional" part of this can be enforced as a deadball foul. Someone let me know if this is right or wrong.
CANADIAN RULING:

At the snap, the side guys flag for illegal procedure for having only 6 guys on the line of scrimmage [4-3-2a]. The flag will be waved off if A only had 11 (or less) on the field (the # of line players may be reduced by an equal # of players short on the playing field) [4-3-2b].

There is no intentional pass interference in Canada. We could have two fouls on the play: DPI and UR. I'll cover both possibilities: (a) DPI only, and (b) DPI and UR. DPI is 6-4-9b, UR is 7-3. We need to know if the DPI was more than 15 yards downfield. I'll cover both situations: (i) > 15y, and (ii) <= 15 yards.

This is a dual foul, because B has no strategic reason to decline the illegal procedure. The first foul is illegal procedure, therefore this is the POA for all fouls [8-6-3]. The 5 yards for illegal procedure and (i) 15 yards or (ii) 10 yards for DPI are balanced here. We're either going up (i) 10 or (ii) 5 yards in A's favour. There is no automatic first down as a result of the DPI [8-6-2f].

In (a) we're done, and (b) we apply the UR. UR is 15 yards and an AFD in this case.

End result:
  • (a)
    • (i) Team A 1D/10 @ A-50
    • (ii) Team A 1D/5 @ A-45
  • (b)
    • (i) Team A 1D/10 @ B-45
    • (ii) Team A 1D/10 @ B-50

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Sat Jul 28, 2007 at 08:08am.