View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 04:18pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
The NBA is not taught that. They believe in not bailing out players, but they also believe that if a player gets hit illegally, no matter if it was a stupid play or not, that it is a foul. That is one of the minor details that is different from college to the NBA. College refs can pass on it with no consequence, NBA refs cannot for the fact that it will be chalked up as NO Call INCORRECT on their charting of plays and will reduce their percentage of plays called correctly.
I strongly disagree. There will be consequences for missing obvious fouls, escpecially the ones that lead to disadvantage. These are the fouls that we must get, NBA, college or hs. As I stated before, the officials in the NBA don't see guard play that fast that often, at a very high skill level. They missed a lot on the MVP player, SA was allowed to mug him.

If you're arguing about when he tried to dribble between the 2 players, odds of me calling a foul is slim to none. But that play outside where it was just him and Bowen and Bruce hit his arm, that's bs. As a crew, you all get dinged on that one because Bruce is playing cheap. And he continued to play cheap the rest of the game. Purposely hitting the dribblers arm, very slighlty, almost undetectable, is a huge defensive advangate. Now, everytime Steve goes into a crowd, someone is going to hit his arm.

What this tells me and it's a little off subject. But what this tells me is that SA knew they couldn't stop this kid. So the next thing, is you start to do things to frustrate him, legal or if necessary, illegal. Once the illegal stuff starts, and you recognize it. You have to step up your officiating. The crew in this game did not step up, imho.