View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 09:18am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMEngmann
It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out, particularly if Donaghy names names. I don't see how Ronnie Nunn can keep his job with this scandal happening on his watch.
Why hate on Ronnie Nunn, he's not to blame for this. However, I do blame the overall system for not sticking to it's own rules. Even in DI college, you have the problem of advantage/disadvangate and how it effects the game.

Quote:
The NBA really needs to be more pro-active from a PR perspective. Even before this, the perception of NBA officials was heavily negative. The NBA has solid criteria for grading officials, and they classify calls. There's RSBQ for guard play, etc.
What is RSBQ?

Quote:
The league needs to publish officiating guidelines, such as RSBQ and make them public.
What's the point if you don't follow them, and that goes all the way back to HS. Am I effecting the outcome by not calling that foul at the top of the key, even though the player didn't lose the ball. It can't be fixed. There's always going to be a losing coach who's going to complain, either way.

To me, part of the problem is officials who get too big in the system. They have been working a very long time and they feel they are beyond approach. Another problem is the grading system. The grading system creates walk on water attitude officials. For me, as you have witness me engaging this forum. I can't stand people who think they are perfect (JR). He's always willing to tell me and the rest of the world I screwed up when I make a decision. Where does that leave me? It leaves me with a permanent bad attitude, might as well get what I can from it. You have to be very careful with the grading system. You want to use it to make others better, not to point out flaws.

I will say this, you can bet from here on out that the betting lines are now going to need to be known by the league and calls towards the end of the games are going to be more scrutinized then ever before. Our job, just got harder.