View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 22, 2007, 01:47pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I completely agree that calls are subjective. But in order to shave points, I would think you would be calling things that did not happen. Also the NBA after every game scrutinizes calls. They even know at halftime what they did wrong.
How about the calls underneath on a player going up with the ball? There usually is a lot of contact involved. I know that from just watching the little bit of NBA that I do that the criteria on what is a foul or not seems to be all over the map. Sometimes it is; sometimes it isn't. In one article that I read in a NY paper, an NBA head coach (nameless) was asked how an official could change a game in a call or two without being detected. He said "Simple. Call something on a team's star. You don't have to foul him out, but you can put him on the bench for extended periods with an iffy foul. That's always worth points." The coach more or less confirmed that it was also kinda expected for stars to get away with some contact that lesser mortals get called for.

This is just a personal opinion of mine, but I honestly think that today's players have outgrown the court. They are so much bigger, faster, stronger, etc. that they are almost forced into contact in a half-court game, especially in the paint. To get back to basketball as we know it, they at least need to widen the court a little and maybe even lengthen it also.