Thread: And One!!
View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 22, 2007, 01:36pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
The time to talk them out of fouls, if you're going to do it, is when the stuff is borderline.
Which is exactly what saying and-a is. It is not a major situation where we need to jump in and start throwing T's.

Quote:
OS said not to call this T without a warning. I simply said it's bad advice because often times warnings aren't practical. Is it good game management? Sometimes, but you can't teach an official that he has to give a warning first, because there's no rule that says so.
And this is why you will remain a lower level official because one things for sure, an assigner does not want to put an official on the floor that's going to T up a player for saying And-1. I can see you now, coach, why did my player get a T, because he said And-1. That's going to go over real good, and let's just hope the parent or coach doesn't work for the company or there could be some serious legal issues for you to deal with. Like slander....

I should put together a book entitled Common Sense Officiating. Things you may not want to do in a game that could stunt your career. I see a lot of you need it. Little things you can do that will make your games run smoother, and keep you out of hot water.
#1 have a personality.
#2 smile, it ain't that damn serious.
#3 warnings, no limit to how many you can give.
#3a. warning buss word - that's enough...! Repeated several times will defuse most technical foul situations.
#4 games with no technicals tend to run a little smoother
#99. I'll end with this one, but the rest you will have to get the book. Failure to apply these common sense items could mean stunting your career in a permanment manner.