View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 22, 2007, 12:21pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I completely agree that calls are subjective. But in order to shave points, I would think you would be calling things that did not happen. Also the NBA after every game scrutinizes calls. They even know at halftime what they did wrong. If you work D-1 they might not hear anything about a missed call for days. The NBA they get all over the officials for what they call NCI (Non Call Incorrect). If he was screwing up that much, I would think there would be some real evidence. I guess time will tell and it does not help if you have contact with mob members. I am just saying I do not see how this can be done for a 2 year period. Now if you told me he did this just during one season and did not work the playoffs, I think that would be easier to swallow.

Peace
Mr.JRut, the scrutiny or evaluation of a game is not as clear cut or black/white as you are making it out to be. I think we may all be in for an awakening here, depending on how it plays out. We are often evaluated and scrutinized on calls that where wrong or obvious plays that where missed. However, that leaves a lot of plays in between. The subjectivity of what we do, can not, repeat, can not come into question.

Case in point, at a recent camp, I called a hand check in the frontcourt, trail. Evaluator told me, that since the player didn't lose control of the ball, why make that call. I said to myself, because it was a foul, that's why. Evaluators point is, don't interrupt the game like that. We don't want that call. Now, late in the game, if i passed on that call earlier, and the game is close, do I make that same hand check call now or not? If i don't, it looks like I'm not doing my job. If I do, since it wasn't called in the 1st half, why call it in the 2nd. I think we all struggle with this which is why our subjectivity can not come into question. There's no way we can be that perfect.

The pro-game has gotten so complacent, that I think this could very well be going on. But not just with an official. I mean if an official is doing it, you know good and damn well there are some players doing it. I think we're going to learn a lot here, but like Snaqs, I really wonder what's driving it, what has happen behind the scences that has caused this to come to the limelight? Could it be from the Commissioner publicly degrading (and basically firing) an official late in the season. I wonder.....