Thread: Smittyisms
View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 19, 2007, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

We can argue all day and give our opinions about making the "expected call" and the virtues of doing so.

However, it will not change this FACT: this method of umpiring was taught at both umpire school and PBUC camp. These groups are, arguably, the top in top in the world of umpire training. They both teach it. It has nothing to do with "making the fans happy", etc.

What it is, is a small part of "letting the players take care of things themselves," OR "calling the game the way BOTH teams expect the game to be called."

When ball beats runner to the bag, fielder puts the glove with the ball down and the runner does nothing but slide directly into the bag...then the runner is going to be called out.

Example:

R1, steal. Throw from F2 beats R1 by a mile. F4 or F6 gloves the throw and puts the glove with ball down in front of second base well ahead of R1. F4 or F6 then pulls the tag up a little early (probably he doesn't wan't to get spiked). Nothing blatant...just enough for you the umpire to know there was no "actual" tag. R1 did nothing but slide directly into second base (basically giving himself up.) He did nothing (no fancy slide, etc.) to try to avoid the tag.

What do you call?

Some on this thread would call "safe". That is you, as umpire, saw there was no tag so you call him "safe". Many, including me, would call that the call of an amateur (or "inexperienced" umpire). (or call it a "MLB call" as I pointed out above...but with which Jim Porter disagreed.)

I would call him "out". Many, including me, would call that a professional call. We talk about amateur umpires acting like "professionals" on the field. This, IMHO, is an example. (I'm not talking about acting like "professional umpires"...I'm talking about the broader concept of being "professional".)

I've never had a manager/head coach (on the pro, college or varsity level) argue that a runner was "safe" on such a play. However, when I have taken the short end of the stick (once or twice) I have had a manager come screaming out of the dugout, "how can you make that %^&$ call the throw beat the runner and the tag was down!"