Thread: Smittyisms
View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 18, 2007, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Publius
You're comparing cheese and chalk. Phantom tags and neighborhood plays OUGHT to be allowed in pro ball because they are devices of self-preservation. Amateur codes penalize the offense (FPSR and MC rule) for doing what the pro game allows. There's no good reason to allow gross misses of tags of either a runner or a base in amateur codes. I'm with you on minor misses of the base on force plays; I'm with rei all the way on tags of the runner.

Interestingly, for all the sound and fury to the contrary regarding how our way will impede one's career, mine looks a lot like his. 20+ years, moved up to d3 ball several years ago, and the NCAA coaches whine about those calls a lot less than internet forums would have you believe.
FPSR and MC rule still don't penalize a runner for sliding spikes first into an arm or ankle. Even at the NCAA and high school levels, there is still an element of self-preservation to those plays.

But that doesn't matter. I'm talking about an umpire making a call he thinks he sees when everyone (and I mean everyone) believes the exact opposite occurred. You can recognize when that happens. It is a technique that can be developed and honed for getting the call right -- not making the wrong call just because you think everyone isn't going to believe you.