Thread: Smittyisms
View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 18, 2007, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Quote:
Originally Posted by rei
You should go ref soccer. If I had a nickle for ever time I have heard soccer refs talk about "letting the players dictate what kind of game it will be today",

*snip*
rei, you're still not getting it. I never said anything about letting players dictate the game. That's entirely different.

Yes, there are two teams. The concepts I'm talking about deal with the same reality for both teams. I'm talking about when the umpire is the only one in the world who believes he saw it a certain way. It takes years of officiating baseball to develop the judgment and instincts to know when it happens.

I didn't say anything about, "making stuff up." It's already there. There's nothing to make up. You're not fabricating a thing. An out is an out.

I have a very difficult time believing that you and the baserunner were the only two people who could see the pitcher was failing to come set. Nevertheless, that's not something you should ignore. After all, the baserunner could see it. The pitcher was gaining an advantage. Balk him everytime.

But if you're telling me that you're calling safe an R1 who's out by 6 steps because the pivot man was merely straddling second base instead of actually touching it, then I'd call you a microscope umpire. If you're telling me you'd call R3 safe in that Red Sox game I talked about because the catcher's heel came centimeters off the plate a second before gloving the throw, then I'd say you were obsessed with minutiae.