Thread: Smittyisms
View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 18, 2007, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
rei]Horsedung!!! If the runner is "alleged" to be out for a "long margin", I probably have not made a call yet if the fielder has not stepped on the bag. At some point, everybody realizes that I have NOT made a call yet, and am still looking at the bag.
rei a couple of questions if I may.

What criteria do you use when you are Unsure or perhaps a better way to phrase it is you do not exactly know if the player was tagged or not. ? If you have never have been in that position then God bless you.

Even when we have the prefect angle - do we actually KNOW that the runner's hand touched the bag before the tag, etc.

Also, you are working Solo - do you have any criteria for making safe / out calls when in some instances you are 80 - 90 ft. away from the play (ala the pick-off at first base and steal of second)?

On another note: do you "reward" good plays when dealing with "coin flip" calls. ie; Ground ball deep in the hole - great play by F6 and it'a a coin flip. Do you take into account that the defense made a great play and EVERYONE expects the OUT call or on the reverse side. B1 is busting it out of the box on a routine play in which the fielder proceeds to bobble it, boot it and again the call is a "coin flip"

Thanks

Pete Booth

Pete Booth