Thread: Smittyisms
View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 18, 2007, 01:33pm
rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
IMO, the aforementioned is what is "getting lost in the translation"

The EXPECTED call IMO delas with plays in which the runner is out by a GOOD MARGIN not a narrow or close margin.

We are talking about plays in which the throw is "right-on" tag where it is supposed to be and the runner is out by some 3-4 steps not a Narrow margin. Whenever the play is close I think even the "old school" way is call what you see.

IMO, I think that is what is getting lost in this discussion.

Pete Booth
Horsedung!!! If the runner is "alleged" to be out for a "long margin", I probably have not made a call yet if the fielder has not stepped on the bag. At some point, everybody realizes that I have NOT made a call yet, and am still looking at the bag.

There is no way I am making an out call just because the first basemen is running towards the dugout. A WELL COACHED first basemen will be looking at me to make sure I have made the out call before he heads to the dugout. It has happened many times, and every time the well coached fielder steps on the bag (thus making it a MUCH closer play now!) for the out.

There is no argument anybody can propose to me that will make me call a runner out when he is safe just because he "looks out" to everybody else.