Thread: Smittyisms
View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 18, 2007, 11:36am
rei

BigUmp56. I have a LOT of things to keep track of on the diamond during a game. I am going to see a LOT of plays throughout the year. There are going to be a LOT of "what if" scenarios.

The one thing that is going to be consistent is that I am going to call what I see. If a see a tag, or BELIEVE I just seen a tag, runner out. If I don't see a tag, or don't believe there was a tag, runner is SAFE.

It is as simple as that. I am not out there to make decisions based upon others perceptions. I am out there to call what I see.

There is NO PLACE in the rule book that says I must adjust my decisions on a tag attempt to assure the safety of the fielder applying the tag. That seems to be the main reason given for the "phantom tag" with a runner sliding in. A fielder who is well coached knows that he can move his lazy butt up the base line a bit and tag the runner on the leg if he is worried about a cleat in the hand.

I played baseball. I never once expected a tag attempt I made that was not actually a tag to go my way. NEVER. Most players accept this. Time and time again in college games where I see a lot more unsuccessful tags the fielder does his little "sell job" about not believing I didn't see the tag, but usually admits the next inning that he didn't actually put on a tag and sort of grins about the whole thing. What keeps his coach off my butt is that he usually tells the coach that he didn't apply the tag. Sometimes a teammate who has a great angle give the little signal to the coach that I actually got it right which avoids a big blow up.

On and on. I have mostly good experiences with just calling what I see (certainly, I am not going to suggest that I always see it right though! ). I have fewer arguements now about calls than I did when I was trying to "umpire by popular perception" of the play on the field. I can now sell my calls with conviction, and any coach who has had me twice knows that I am going to call what I see, both ways, consistently.