Thread: Smittyisms
View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 18, 2007, 10:50am
rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B
I think you missed the point, but this part fits the thread well since this is definitely "Smitty" at his best.

Thanks
David
I don't think I have missed any point.

What we have is a lot of umpires who will call things the way it is obvious for everybody else so as to avoid conflict. In the old days: No conflict = Excellent job.

Call me a "smitty" (as I do NCAA games ) but if a tag is not applied, I don't care if the fielder was holding onto the ball at third since the runner took off from first, he is SAFE! If you are not standing on a bag with the ball in possession on a force play, the runner is SAFE! If you miss touching a bag by 1/2 inch and it is appealed properly, you are OUT! Etc...

I was working with a young guy who I mentor earlier this year on his strike zone. He went on and on about how he has to call this big strike zone to "keep the game moving". I listened and listened. I then asked "How long is your average game". He replied that most of them go the whole time limit.

I then asked him to start calling the "real" strike zone. He did. Game over in 1:50. One of the quickest games he had in this league.

He also discovered that the batters still swing the bat, and often swing it more when you force the pitcher to throw STRIKES IN THE ZONE!!!

I could go on and on. The point is, call the game that is really there and you gain respect. I do not have to explain any philosophy to an arguing coach this way and only need to keep track of what I actually seen! It sure is a lot easier to explain what just happened than to explain why I feel that since the rest of the world seen it as an out it is an out today.