Thread: Smittyisms
View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 18, 2007, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Great perception

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
It depends on the slide.

Here's two consecutive plays from a game a couple of years ago; I was BU.

R1 stealing. Throw in plenty of time, tag in front of the base (toward first). R1 head first slide. Shows the left hand, then takes it away at the same time as he reaches for the outside of the base with the right hand. Call: Safe. Some defenders saw the move; some didn't. I don't recall what the spectators saw.

A couple of pitches later, now R2 steals third. Same throw, same tag, different slide. R2 goes straight into the base. Call: Out. R2 gets up and trots to his position, but says to me: "He never tagged me. My hads went on either side of the glove. Still, I went straight in, so that was a good call."

One of the posters on the basketball side says, "Don't be a plumber." That is, don't go looking for ****.

I interpret that as look at what you need to look at. If the throw is there, the tag is there and the slide is "normal", I've seen all I need to see (that's the second play above). If something is different, I look harder (that's the first play above).

Same thing on the "neighborhood play" -- if everyone does what they're supposed to be doing, I've seen enough -- I don't look for the miss. If something is amiss, then I look to see what really happened.

shrug. works for me (for now).
Exactly the way I've called it for years. The good umpires know the difference, the "not so good umpires" will continue to make a guess about the call.

MLB has changed some, but in reality not much. The only reason we see more "changed calls' is that just about all of the games are on TV now where before only the big market teams were on each night and the Braves.

I'm sure as we get older though it is going to change more and more. I don't know IMO if that is going to be a good thing though ...

Thansk
David