View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Ahem,

"This is funny to me. My dad has not been to 17 state games,he is not even a official in any sport. I just threw that one out for reaction. But what really surprises me is if something doesnt meet your standard or if you dont agree with what is being done its wrong. Jim Evans didnt teach us that ect..., I know some of us take officiating very seriously and would like to take it to the next level. Would I clean the bases while working at a higher level? Probably not. A earlier poster said show me in any umpire manuel/rules book that says base umpire must keep the bases clean. True it doesnt say its required,but at the same time it doesnt say never do it. I dont have a MLB umpires manuel, but Im sure it doesnt say base umpire shouldnver have an indicator on the field. This is food for thought you do the dishes. An to the comment about the french maid outfit, I do wear proper umpire attire on the field. But your wife can come and pick her outfit anytime she wants to. She is great."

This kind of sets up my answer:

It has always been my opinion that guys such as Pete Booth, Bob Jenkins, Tim Haag, Rich Fronheiser, Jeff Rutledge, Ozzy, lawump, Steve Meyer, mbyron, Garth B, DavidB and others offer insight into how to umpire because they care.

Most of these gents also teach umpiring to various levels of umpiring.

When we try to teach someone who is interested in learning it is exciting for all of us. But sadly, we also get umpires who first ACT as if they would like help but continue to argue their way.

I think what all of us old hides have tried to say in this thread is that perception is important. Sometimes perception is critical.

If you want to carry a brush on the bases, wear plate pants on the bases, uses an indicator on the bases, tell a pitcher the count and outs as a base umpire, stay near the mound when a coach comes out to talk to a pitcher just keep on doing what you are doing.

The issue comes from people's perception of you and that will not change.

If an umpire wants to learn I think there is a wonderful advantage of reading threads on the internet. You can get a real good picture of what is probably correct in most areas.

Like everything you need to filter what works for you.

I will make a coaching analogy:

When I was a player my coaches always said: "Tee, be glad we are yelling at you -- it means we care and think you have a future in sport . . . worry when we don't yell at you, it means we have given up."

I "yell" at fewer and fewer internet umpires every month . . . it is sad.

Regards,