View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 06:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Mueller
to
Tim, Rut, Garth and Larry

I understand that none of you would lower yourself to clean off a bag, but none of you spoke to the issue that prompted the cleaning.
It has nothing to do with "lowering yourself." How hard is it to see a bag that is off the ground? This is not something like the plate that in imbedded in the ground. The bases is off the damn ground. Even with some dirt on it, it is easy to see. If you cannot see an object sticking out of the ground, you need to get into better position or go to an eye doctor. I also did not say I would not kick some dirt off the bag. I said I would not use a “plate brush” (notice the name) to brush dirt off the bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Mueller
Do you prefer making calls at 120' to a bag you can see or approximating where it might be based on player location?
Personally I prefer seeing the bag before making a call
Was it one of the old SNL comedians that said "It's better to look good then feel good"? You guys have gone one better 'It's better to look good then get the call right'
I'd rather be a 'smitty' and get the call right then be... well be like you and be guessing
So you are telling me that if you have two umpires that have the same ability, 5'7 and 300 pounds and the other umpire is 6'1 and 195 and athletic will be judged the same?

Also one of the biggest myths in any kind of officiating, is the fact that we think "getting plays right" is what makes us a better official/umpire. Getting a play right is often a perception. There are veterans that have been around, have a vast resume and they will make a big mistake and no one will bother them. They have earned a certain level of respect for years of experience. A rookie has not earned that same level of respect even though they might be better than most veterans are nitpicked by everything they do. If you want to believe that no one makes decisions about you as an umpire on factors like this. Turn your hat backwards. Wear white colored shoes. Wear a pair of pants from Wal-mart. Use and adjustable hat. Do all those things and more then do not complain when other umpires inferior to you get better games or advance or are asked to work the big tournaments. But remember you got the plays right.

Peace