View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 14, 2007, 01:02am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Amer Legion - OBR

Runners at R2@2B & R1@3B 2 outs.

Ball hit to F5. R2 has passed F6 on the way to 3B, for whatever reason, F5 chases R2 who turns around heading back to 2B. By the time the tag is made, BR is at first and R1 has scored.

I score the run & out 3.

Coach has a mild myocardial infarction, I tell him its a timing play, BR reached 1st safely and R1 made it home.

Coach tells me there is no such thing as a timing play, thats softball (he knows I am primarily a FP umpire), that its a continuation play, the run should not score.

Well, I was confused so I just ended the convo ruling stood, end of story. Nearly had to eject the score keeper who was whining as well that it was a "continuation play"..

So I come to the experts.. what say you?
First, everyone gets rattled and confused from time to time. This was your real problem. How do you handle things when you get pressed and the mind takes an intermittent bleeep? You had the call right, you didn't give yourself time, and the coach a show of "respect" (yeah, he didn't deserve it but read on).

I am fortunate to work with partners who, in many ways, are better than I am . So I have a place to go to sort things out. If you don't this will work for you too.

When Coach comes out on you, and you feel yourself searching for the right response but can't find it,

"Coach, hold on just a minute."

Go over to your partner, if he is good, then talk it through, if not, then tell him "I'm coming over here to get a mental recharge, we had R2, R3, etc etc"...the rule will come back to you given a breather to think without being pressed.

Return to Coach (who by the very act of taking time to discuss his viewpoint shows "respect" for his (lousy) opinion.. that's what it will look like), "Coach, it's a timing play, I'm sure of it. Play and scoring stands."

Last edited by fitump56; Sat Jul 14, 2007 at 01:08am.