View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 13, 2007, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRef
Individual Basis!!! What about the girl who gets spiked by the runner who has chosen to wear the metal spikes. What kind of choice does she get.

This is a dumb change because the people who are wearing the cleats are not the ones likely to get hurt. The defense is out there to fend for themselves when the runner slides with the metal spikes out front.
Perhaps you should talk to the Fed folks - add a rule that coaches ensure that defensive players are skilled enough to actually play their positions. Watch the coaches whine about that!

Personally, I am not convinced this is a good move - there are far too many scholastic players that are not serious players and these players are not very skilled. I suspect that there will be some injuries - for defensive players who do not know how to properly play their infield positions when players are wearing metal AND for offensive players who are wearing metal without knowing what they need to know about wearing metal. On the other hand, I am not convinced that this is a bad move - let them learn. I suspect there will be more injuries to the offensive players than the defense. But I also have zero statistics.
I know there are some injuries in the college game - where spikes are allowed and expected. There are also injuries with boys and metal spikes in their game. I guess I'll wait and see to determine what my opinion is as to whether this is a good change or not.
I suspect we will see intimidation have a bigger part in the high school softball game. That's not good, nor is it bad, but it is a change.