View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 13, 2007, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

I didn't wait 2 years, but...

30 something adult league in the spring.
Typical adult league stuff no ejections or anything close to one.
There was a 16 or 17 yr old kid in the visitors dugout, one of the players kid and was occasionally helping out warming up a pitcher and getting bats.
Very long game and getting dark, visiting team down 2 or 3 after 8.
Went to both coaches after 8 and said I'm going to try and get this in but we might not finish, if it gets too dark I'm shutting it down.
We get a few minutes into the 9th and I realize that if visitors tie or go ahead there is no way were getting through the bottom of the inning without flashlights so I call the game. Obviously visitors are irate.
Partner and I go to our cars and a minute later a car pulls up to the end of the lot, about 30 yds away and the kid who had been in the dugout (in the car alone)
shouts "Hey Blue, You s@@k!" and then peels out.
Fast forward about 5 weeks, guess which team I have as visitors at another park? Yep same team and the kid is in the dugout.

Would you do anything?

Here's what I did.
Went to the dugout before the plate meeting and asked the kid which player was his father. Called his dad over and explained what his son had done.
Then I asked the dad if he thought that was acceptable behavior? He of course was embarrassed and said no. Then I said "You can take care of dealing with this or when the game starts I can take care of it, which do you prefer?" He caught my inference but had no idea what I expected from him.
He asked what I suggested and I told him I thought his son should leave the park and consider it a 1 game suspension. He agreed and the game went off with nothing more than typical adult league stuff.