View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
You can not say the AP has not ended after I attempted to throw the ball in, therefore, the next held or jump ball goes to me again.
Well, the only reason I'm saying that is because that's what the rule says.

Quote:
That’s like saying if you borrow some money from the bank, $100 dollars, but before you leave the bank, you lose the money. Well, that doesn't change the fact that the bank gave you the money, and guess what, you owe that money back.
Ok, I'll play along. This statement is correct, and a good example of my point. What if you sit down at the banker's desk, sign all the paperwork, get the free toaster and monogrammed pen, and they forget to hand you the $100. Do you still owe them? Of course not; just because most of the qualifications of a loan have been met, doesn't mean all of them have been met. The same thing applies to the rules on a throw-in: the ball is handed to the player for a TI, and the ball is passed unto the playing court. Most of the qualifications have been met, but not all. What's missing? The legal touch by a player in-bounds. That's what ends the APTI. A kick is not a legal touch, therefore the APTI hasn't ended. Just like when the banker hands you the check after completing all the paperwork, that's what ends the loan process. If the banker hands you a Monopoly $100 bill, you would not owe $100 in real money back to the bank, because it was not a legal transfer of money, therefore the loan process is not yet complete.

Now, let's go to your other example - as you're walking out the door of the bank with your crisp, new $100 bill, you lose it, before you even get past the guard. Would you still owe the bank? Yep; what happens after the loan is complete has nothing to do with the loan process. The same with the APTI - once the APTI is complete, by rule, what happens after that has nothing to do with the APTI. If the player touches it, legally, in-bounds, then the arrow switches, and what happens after that (the ball going OOB) has nothing to do with the arrow.

Quote:
Basketball is really a simple game. If you don't understand the game, don't monkey with the rules or try to defend a statement that makes no sense.
Good advice. You should follow it more often. Please.

(Used with permission.)