Thread: Parent/Umpire
View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 10:13am
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth

I called strike 2 on the batter on a curve that hit the outside corner and made him look bad. He proceeded to take his bat and draw a line (as to show me up) and said "Hey Blue I would need a tree trunk to hit that one"

At this point I can Eject which some would do OR to keep him in the game "Send a message" I chose to send a message especially for this age group. When I didn't toss B1 F2 knew what I was doing. He set-up some 7-8 inches outside. F1 threw it right there and I rung him up for strike 3.

The next time this batter came up he said to me "Blue can we start over" I said sure and no problems the rest of the game.

Pete Booth
I read on both this and other forums, variations of this sort of thing all the time. Umpire uses FYC, or makes some sort of smart-aleck remark to a grown man, and "nobody says a word", or as in Pete's example, otherwise eats crow.

In my world, that guy would have been ejected after the called 3rd. He would have dropped his bat, got in my face and said, "You're f#$^ing horse*&%t!" In my world, when you bite an adult rat, he doesn't slink away into the shadows, he bites back.

I'm not saying you handle things wrong, or even any differently than they are handled around here, only that the players here don't take it without a fight.

You guys slippin' something in the water coolers?