View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 11, 2007, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I do not consider coaches customers. If you are an assignor they might be.
If there were no teams, no coaches, no players how many assignors would be calling you?
I don't want to argue over who the customer is in the umpire world, that wasn't my point, but I think you are naive if you think the assignor is your ultimate customer.

Quote:
But to an independent contractor that can pick and choose where I go and whom I work for, I do not see that same connection.
Everyone is an independent contractor and can pick and choose where they go.

Quote:
When the money is not the only motivation for umpiring as it would be with "customers" in a business,
I feel sad for anyone whose only motivation is money, no matter what the business.
But you see my point even if you don't recognize it.
If all or most of the people within the enviorment in which you practiced your trade were liars, cheaters, whiners and child abusers why would any one want to voluntarily stay in that enviorment? Unless of course you were a social worker.

Quote:
I disagree with your analogy you are trying to make with umpiring and a job or business.
I don't think you were the one saying all coaches were liars, cheaters, whiners and child abusers. So unless the shoe fits perhaps my point isn't directed or meant for you and therefore does not resonate with you.