View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 11, 2007, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
Bases loaded and less than 2 outs. Batter hits a soft loopy line drive at F4 who temporarily has it for a split second, then drops it. I, as BU, give the no-catch signal and verbalize it in a normal voice since it was a fairly obvious no catch. R1, however, turns to go back to first base before the ball is touched and dropped, so he wasn't sure if it was caught or not.

F4 throws to F6 covering 2nd to get the force out on R1. They then try to throw to first to get the BR, however, R1 is still standing on the base and gets in the way of F3 trying to catch the throw.

Coaches want INT on R1, but i didn't call it based on 2 things:

1) Interference with a thrown ball requires intent and i didn't feel that R1 intentionally did what he did because he wasn't sure it was caught.

2) A retired runner, by running the bases unsure of his situation, can not be called for interference by that act. 7.09(d) comment.

On the other hand, R1 did get in the way of F3 when he was already put out.

I'm 50/50 on this call. Right in the middle of the fence. I'm leaning towards i made the right call but i'm unsure.
Interference can be intentional or unintentional. That being said the runner is retired and has no business standing on first base. I'd call interference double play inning over. You called no catch no excuse on the runners part not (although unlikely how do you know R1 seeing the batter going back to the plate didn't intentionally interfere?) knowing the situation. You also have the issue of the batter returning to the plate another bone head play. This is an easy double play to sell. You gave the offense an undeserved extra out.