View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 10, 2007, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"Metal cleats provide better traction for athletes on nearly all surfaces, including hard, wet or under-maintained fields," said Cindy Simmons, chair of the NFHS Softball Rules Committee and assistant executive director of the Oregon School Activities Association. "They also help prevent slippage on the bases, especially home plate."
That depends on the construction of the base, but I know that metal on rubber is not a desirable combination and if there is any place a runner is likely to slip on a base it is the plate. Also, depending on the length and density of grass, spikes do not always provide good, if any, traction.

Quote:
Current rules prohibit runners from illegal tactics when sliding, and if sliding is executed correctly, the risk of defensive players being "spiked" will decrease.
Key phrase in this statement? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

"Executed correctly" may be the downfall of many a HS player next year. I would love to know if Federation set up a committee to moniter additional injuries due to an approved equipment change. And the last sentence is a good one.

If the players haven't been wearing spikes, how and the instances of being spiked be decreased? And what about the instances that still occur? What are the odds that a players getting clipped with plastic/rubber cleats will incur a high level of injury than if straffed with metal spikes?

I wonder if anyone really thought about this before approving it.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Tue Jul 10, 2007 at 03:36pm.