Thread: Safety on a try
View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 09, 2007, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roamin' Umpire
I have not seen this occur, but Team A can score a safety (1 point!) on a try in the following manner:

[NFHS rules]
Try @ B3. A runs a sweep, but is hit and fumbles near the goal line. The ball is rolling away from the goal line when a B player, diving to get the ball, muffs it back, and it hits the pylon. (Or goes into the EZ and is recovered by B, or goes into and out of the EZ, etc.)

On a normal play, this is a safety - B has forced the ball into his own endzone and it is dead there. On a try, it's STILL a safety, but A only scores 1 point, and A is still kicking off next.*

Under NCAA rules, the muff isn't a new force - it would have to be a bat. I just didn't want to introduce a foul into the play.

* - Yes, I know B could theoretically decide to kickoff. No need to confuse the issue. :P
I think you can still have the same without a bat in NCAA, but don't have my books with me. I think in a bowl game 2-3 years ago that "Blue" worked, they had it happen. Blue and his crew nailed it and Blue explained it on the field mic for all to understand. Do some of you remember that?