View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 10, 2000, 04:11pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Unhappy

First of all, it wasn't me - really. I swear it was my partner. Here's the scenario. Girls playoff game. About 40 seconds to go in 4th. Score, A-51, B-49. A1 bringing the ball up in backcourt against heavy pressure. My partner is trail. He is properly showing visible count. A1 is dribbling when B1 bats the ball. No doubt B1 touched it during dribble because it bounced about two feet away. A1 recovers ball by grabbing it with both hands. A1 begins new dribble. Partner blows whistle.

Immediately, he loudly announces that it was an inadvertant whistle and he was going to give the ball back to team A OOB for throw-in. Coach B yells for timeout and it is granted. He starts yelling AT ME! His point is that he should have been given a 10 second backcourt call, since there was never loss of team control by team A. He also yells that my partner stopped his count with the bat, but that much more than 10 seconds had expired. In both cases, he was correct, but there was nothing I could do about it.

To make matters worse, when he requested the timeout because he was angry, HE WAS ALREADY OUT OF TIMEOUTS! I very gingerly assessed the T, gave team A their two free throws (they made one) and the ball back.

Bottom line - team A wound up winning by five.

What a mess!