View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 06, 2007, 11:03pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

NBA Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R
I saw this at a summer tournament this weekend and I was wondering what others thought.

FIBA rules, Team A has AP to start the 4th quarter. The officials bracket the play in the wrong direction and all the players line up in the wrong direction. Team A has control of the ball for 10 seconds when someone recognizes that they are playing in the wrong direction. The officials stop the game and discuss for a while and come up with a decision that I could not believe. They charge Team A with a backcourt violation and award the ball to Team B.
Their logic was that Team A first inbounded the ball in the backcourt (but really the frontcourt) and then committed a violation when they unknowingly brought the ball to the frontcourt (but really the backcourt).

I am in the process of looking up the actual rule for FIBA. What about other rule sets? What about common sense; start over?

Thoughts?

J
in the NBA, if more than 24 seconds have elapsed, teams play in those directions for the remainder of that half. If 24 or less seconds have elapsed, all play is nullified and you basically have a do-over. (unsporting acts, flagrant fouls, and points are not nullified, though).

See Rule 2-VI-B

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball