Old Fri Jul 06, 2007, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Am I wrong here?
Yes. Let's begin:

Quote:
Coach, what has team B gained? Team A still has the ball for the throw-in and the way the rule is currently written (before this years change), if the ball was tied up again, the AP would stay with Team A because they never successfully inbounded the ball. That is the way the rule stands before this change.
That is not the rule, has not been the rule, and will not be the rule. If the ball is tied up, there is no violation, all the previous and current rules about the throw-in ending have occured, so the arrow will switch to team B once the ball is leagally touched in-bounds, which would be the tie-up.

Quote:
After the change, the AP is permanently kept with Team A because of Team B's violation or kicked ball. Now, I don't even try to go for the steal on the inbound so that I don't accidentally set the arrow permanent for Team A. I have to let Team A inbound the ball and then I go for the steal because if I accidentally kicked the ball or there's a violation, I get double jeopardy. I get the penalty for the violation and the AP is now null and void. Stays with team A.
How is the arrow permanently set to one team or the other? How is the AP "null and void"? Do you have any rules references to back those statements up?

How would you handle this: A1 has the ball for an AP throw-in. Before the ball is passed inbounds, B2 fouls A2, and A is not yet in the bonus. Would you switch the arrow, and why?

(Used with permission.)