Thread: Would you "T"
View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 06, 2007, 02:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I am not saying anything other than repeating comments from a Division 1 Assignor. I was sharing you what someone who is hired by a conference what he thinks of coaches and their opinions about officials. I have been to many college camps and I have yet to see any coaches as evaluators of the officials to decide who gets hired. Now coaches my have an opinion, but it is weighed up against the rules, mechanics and procedures set by the conference, NCAA or the assignor.
You and your DI assigner friend must be deranged because coaches do evaluate officials, especially at the DI level and will be the first ones to speak up if they feel an official is not capable. You don't think that coaches make recommendation huh? Well that proves to me that you are only concerned with one side of the profession. That's okay, if it works for you, but you are missing out on another side of the coin that could be beneficial to you and your career. I prefer to keep all my options open.

And before I leave, let me just say that you are not the only one that knows DI officials. Several years ago I had a DI clinician tell me she got picked up when the coach recommended her because of how hard she worked this meaningless game. So you see, there are many ways to get picked up. I guess it depends on the conference and how hard you're willing to work for it.