Thread: Interference?
View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 02:49am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Originally Posted by DonInKansas
*sigh* You're joking, right? Please tell me you're joking. Intent and interference are separate entities. You CAN unintentionally interfere, Smitty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
I think he's talking about the CATCHER'S intent to throw the ball, not the batter's intent to interfere. If you think the catcher intended to throw, call INT. Personally, I've only called this (no attempt to throw) once in 25 years, and it was in a college level game where the catcher actually "pumped" his arm but did not throw. I would hesitate to call it, though, unless the catcher makes an attempt of some kind - the catcher should learn that if he DOES make an attempt, he'll get the call.

JJ
Correct, JJ. I also agree that good F2s will force the call, MOF they will take advantage of B violations, by being obvious in either their intent or in making an actual throw. The problem is that they have seen waaaaay to many umps who don't understand how to call INT....as demonstrated by DorothyInKansas above.