Thread: Interference?
View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3appleshigh
But if someone is right infront of him, what do you want him to do? Throw it at the PLAYER???
I want the catcher to step to one side or the other so he can get a throwing lane, or throw over the top of the batter, so I can rule interference. If he just stands there with ball in hand and makes no attempt it is a no sell, and a sorry catcher.

Evans says "Merely blocking the catcher's vision to second base may very well possibly be interference." "May very well possibly" is not a very definitive statement.

J/R says "there is a subtle but essential distinction between a catcher who chooses not to throw and a catcher who tries to throw, but does not because of a batter's positioning. Only the hindered try to throw is interference. A catcher cannot claim interference if he has not tried to throw."

I find it is an easier call to make when the catcher tries to make a play vs. stands there like a dummy. I don't know any good catchers who will not try to make a play, over or around the batter, knowing that the umpire will take care of the interference call if he is indeed interfered with.