View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 01:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Oh, my !

To me, if the ball handler is actually being closely-guarded, that player will be a bit busy to worry about whether the ref is counting or not, ... no matter which hand the ref is using.
As the defender, I don't care what the ref is doing. The other guy has *my ball* and I want it back.
I see your point, but it is usually the coach behind the official that is yelling for this. Several times this summer alone the coach is yelling to the ball handler about whether I have a count or not which he is telling his player to move or pass the ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
When the NCAA/CAA added this signal a number of years ago, I thought it was the dumbest, stupidest, most idiotic signal that was ever adopted. I have never used it in a college game or an AAU girls' game because if I am not counting, it means that there is no closing guarded situation. AND, I do not plan to ever use it in a H.S. game or any game using NFHS rules.
Mark, if you do not like the mechanic, do not use the mechanic. I do not think anyone is going to be upset with you. The mechanic is just another way to communicate a situation. Just not counting does not always communicate why you are not counting.

We really are making this harder than it needs to be.

Peace