View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 01:24pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C
I thought we already had something that communicated this. A five second count if they are, none if they aren't.

Rita
The none if they aren't is the problem. In HS and NCAA Men's, coaches teach playing defense and the referee's must officiate it. In NCAA Women and the NBA, there is no such thing as a closely guarded count on the dribbler. IMHO, I believe this hurts the NCAA Women's game not having it but I guess it was being called too much that led them to dismiss it.

I have had coaches come apart at the seams expecting this call. Sometimes so bad I had to ignore them to keep from giving them the T. If I used the spread-arm mechanic, I was accused of using college mechanics in a HS game. The athleticism of the players has reached the college level now in HS. Ironically, in my college games, I seldom have to use it because they swing the ball so fast and the shot clock makes them shoot. Not so in HS.

Remember, closely guarded is measure at the feet and not the arms. Good mechanic to help manage the coaches.